Monday, February 9, 2009

Cake Decorating Extravaganza

Well, I'm no Amanda (Amanda's Creative Cakes) but I decorated a cake for a birthday all the same. My friend Monika celebrated her 20th birthday this past Saturday. She invited me to go to a College & Career movie with her at her church, and we were asked to bring a snack of some sort. I wanted to make her a cake. I didn't want it to be a plain Jane cake either. So, I looked at a cake decorating book that my mom has, and flipped through it, trying to see what kind of cake I should make Monika. When I came to the "Sports" section of the book, there was a soccer ball. Now I know that Monika loves soccer, so I decided this would be the perfect cake for her. So I baked a soccer cake. And iced it. And I know that I'm not a pro, because it took me much longer than I anticipated :). I probably should have allowed a little more time and then I wouldn't have left the house in a mess! Oh well, that's what happened. Here's some pictures and a step-by-step of the process.

What the cake was supposed to look like

Here's the process. When I baked my cakes, they looked like volcanoes. I will NOT be posting pictures of that. I also didn't take pictures of that. Anyways, my mother (being very helpful) suggested instead of wasting the tips of the volcanoes, cut them off and use them as a filling with some icing in the cake. I totally wouldn't have thought of that. I was just going to eat them plain:)



Now here it is iced, ready to go!



All eaten up...well almost!



So, that is my adventure of cake decorating! It was a lot of fun, but I don't expect to start doing this as a hobby. I'd sure need to perfect my skills then! Enjoy your virtual taste!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Ooo, good job! I've always wanted to attempt a "fancy" cake too but have never gotten around to it!

Anonymous said...

That is so incredible! Wow! You are just the woman to do that, too. I would never be that patient! Lol.