Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Getting Into the Swing of Things...

Is HARD!!!! I am having a bit of a tough time with getting back into the school routine. I thought that it would feel really good and relaxing in that 'scheduled' sort of way, but no! It's almost like there's so much to do that I don't know where to start. I did do an assignment tonight that's due October 4, so I'm glad that that's done. I'm just a little nervous for what this semester all holds. Let me explain...
Last year was my first year actually in the nursing faculty. We had our first clinical experience, we learned all of our skills (from how to give bed baths to IV therapy, and everything in between) and our clinical times were good. Our instructors were there to give us a hand when we needed, and although we needed to know our stuff, it was okay if there were uncertainties.
This year seems like it will be different. There are more expectations. I am no longer one of the new kids on the block, but rather someone who is supposed to know what I am doing. I have had a whole summer off, therefore, I do NOT know what I am doing! Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but trying to remember everything from last year is proving to be quite a challenge. I know that the experiences that I will have this year will be good, and that someday I'll look back and wonder why I was so nervous/apprehensive. I'm not saying that I'm not allowed to make mistakes, I mean, no mistakes is always preferable, but since I'm still a student, mistakes will happen. There will just be more responsibility this year, as well as higher expectations. I guess that's all part of school though, right?
I do have some interesting experiences coming up, though. Here are two:
- planning my funeral. Yep. This is an assignment that we must complete. And it has to be thorough. Complete costs, pallbearers, eulogy, songs, bulletin, the whole works. We visited a funeral home this morning, and to say the very least, it was sooo interesting! It will be a challenge to figure out my funeral, though. Anyone want to be a pallbearer?!
- attending a child health clinic in Shilo. This is where moms will bring their babies for check-ups, immunizations, etc. I am very excited to be able to be a part of this!
Well, I should probably wrap it up and either motivate myself to study, or get ready for bed. I think my bed will win :)
If you made it through my ramblings until here, congratulations! You should get a prize! Unfortunately for you, I don't have prizes, so you just get the satisfaction of making it through all this ;)
Enjoy the rest of your week!

1 comment:

Tylerrrrrr said...

That's so odd, Lori! Planning your own funeral, that is. For an assignment in University, I had to write my own eulogy, which was odd enough, but the full funeral?